The BEST Things to do with Kids at EPCOT’s Festival of the Holidays
Christmas in Orlando!
For many Disney families, the best part of the holiday season is EPCOT’s Festival of the Holidays. My family loves this festival because it is full of holiday fun, about as full as Santa’s sleigh on Christmas Eve. The EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays 2022 is a great way to teach your kids about some of the holiday traditions around the world, through food, storytelling, and decorations.
It’s one of the best parts of the holidays at Walt Disney World. The 2022 EPCOT Festival of the Holidays presented by AdventHealth runs from November 25, 2022 through December 30, 2022.
Related: The BEST Hotels at Disney World for the Holidays
The Best Live Entertainment for Kids at EPCOT’s Festival of the Holidays 2022
If your kids are young, like my four-year-old son, live entertainment may not keep their attention for too long – and that’s okay. That’s why I love the Holiday Storytellers at each World Showcase Pavilion at EPCOT.
I love that each one is positioned near the main promenade so they are easy to find. You can look up the showtimes of the Holiday Storytellers in the My Disney Experience app.
Usually, the showtimes enable you to watch 2-3 storytellers in a row, moving from one pavilion to the next, but it does take some planning. And if you find that your kid(s) aren’t up to watching the entire presentation, it is pretty easy to politely scootch your kids away and onto the next thing.
Another must-do activity with kids is Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Expedition Scavenger Hunt. This annual tradition is all about finding holiday traditions around the world, with Olaf as your guide. If your family has ever watched the holiday special “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” this scavenger hunt is for you.
For $9.99 you can purchase a special map. The best spot to pick this up is the Disney Traders shops. These twin shops flank both sides of the main plaza to World Showcase. Picking up an Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Map here will enable you to get started without missing any of the pavilions. As you and your kids spot Olaf throughout World place the sticker with the correct holiday tradition on the corresponding World Showcase location on the map.
Pro Parenting Tip – be sure to read the short description of each tradition next to each sticker so you and your kids can learn what each tradition means.
Is the Candlelight Processional Good for Kids?
The main event of the International Festival of the Holidays 2022 is the Candlelight Processional. For many, this is a favorite holiday tradition. It can be a little long for some kids so before you book that all-important dining package that includes reserved seating, think about your individual child’s needs.
The Processional is about 30 minutes and includes an incredible orchestra and choir. It can feel a little bit like attending church or a religious service so if your child(ren) has difficulty sitting still during such an experience it may make more sense for your family to enjoy bits of the presentation as you stroll along World Showcase promenade rather than spending the money for a dining package or waiting an hour in line to hopefully get seating.
If you do decide to partake in the Candelight Processional, consider pointing out the American Sign Language interpreter to your kid(s). Each interpreter tends to perform the show with much enthusiasm, and it is a great way to help your family witness how others around you may experience this spectacle.
The 2022 lineup of celebrity narrators:
- 11/25 – 11/26: Simu Liu (NEW)
- 11/27 – 11/29: Edward James Olmos
- 11/30 – 12/1: Raul Esparza (NEW)
- 12/2 – 12/3: Whoopi Goldberg
- 12/4 – 12/6: Isabella Rossellini
- 12/7 – 12/9: Daymond John (NEW)
- 12/10 – 12/12: Josh Gad (NEW)
- 12/13 – 12/14: Gloria Estefan (NEW)
- 12/15 – 12/18: Neil Patrick Harris
- 12/19 – 12/20: Mariska Hargitay (NEW)
- 12/21 – 12/23: Cal Ripken Jr.
- 12/24 – 12/26: Marie Osmond
- 12/27 – 12/28: Courtney Vance
- 12/29 – 12/30: Angela Bassett
The Best Eats for Kids of the EPCOT Festival of the Holidays
Can we just acknowledge how tough it can be to get your kids to eat? That’s part of why I love festival time at EPCOT.
Buying 3-4 food items from the festival booths is a great way to help your kid(s) try something different without spending money on a full meal. And, if you’re the type of parent that will eat literally anything like I am, then whatever they don’t eat is all yours to enjoy.
Here are some of my suggestions for the best eats for kids during the Epcot Festival Of The Holidays:
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Ben’s Original Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, and Cranberry Sauce – American Holiday Table
- Cheese Fondue in a Bread Bowl with Steamed Baby Vegetables and Marble Potatoes – Bavaria Holiday Kitchen
- Pastrami on Rye with House-made Pickles and Deli Mustard – L’Chaim! Holiday Kitchen
- Smoked Salmon Potato Latke (Plant-Based Option Also Available) – L’Chaim! Holiday Kitchen
- Rôti de Jambon Sauce Moutarde à l’ancienne: Roasted ham with mushrooms, pearl onions, bacon, mustard sauce, and puff potatoes – Le Marche De Noel Holiday Kitchen
- Practically anything from The Donut Shop Holiday Kitchen in Future World West. The donuts are freshly made by hand at the booth.
Our son has multiple food allergies. When ordering at the holiday kitchen booths be sure to let the Cast Member know about any allergies before you complete the transaction.
During our visits, we’ve experienced the Cast Members calling an EPCOT Chef to check on the food items we are ordering to make sure they are safe for our specific allergies.
New for 2022 is the Impossible™ Chorizo Tamale at the Nochebuena Cocina Kitchen (near Port of Entry). The Spicy Red Chile Sauce is indeed spicy, and delicious. We ordered it since it is safe for our son’s allergies. He tried a few bites and enjoyed it without the sauce. So my husband and I gladly nibbled on the bits with sauce on it.
Our son also enjoyed the Kalua Pork at Mele Kalikimaka booth. No modifications were needed for this dish in order to make it safe for our son’s dairy and egg allergy.
EPCOT Cookie Stroll
Let’s not forget about a favorite tradition of the EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays – the Cookie Stroll! Visit each one of the five Holiday Kitchens that offers an eligible cookie to it and commemorate your visit with a stamp in your Festival Passport.
Once you’ve collected all 5 stamps, you can present your Festival Passport at Holiday Sweets & Treats to receive a special Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary cookie, complimentary.
Official Holiday Cookie Stroll Locations
- Holiday Hearth Desserts (Odyssey Building) – Gingerbread Man Cookie
- L’Chaim! Holiday Kitchen – Black and White Cookie
- Yukon Holiday Kitchen – SNICKERS®-Doodle Cookie made with SNICKERS® bar pieces
- American Holiday Table – Chocolate Crinkle Cookie made with DOVE® Dark Chocolate
- Bavaria Holiday Kitchen- Linzer Cookie
- Nochebuena Cocnia – Alfajores
- Sunshine Seasons or Connections Cafe – Sugar Cookie
Pro Parenting Tip – You do not have to complete the EPCOT Cookie Stroll in one visit. Just complete it before the 2022 Festival of the Holidays ends on December 30, 2022 (and while supplies last).
Other Fun for Kids at EPCOT’s Festival of the Holidays
The Festival of the Holidays at EPCOT is jam packed with fun and you may be tempted to push yourself to go all day long. My family loves having quiet time inside the aquarium at the Seas with Nemo and Friends. You don’t have to ride the ride to browse the aquarium, just walk around the side of the building to enter through the gift shop.
The Nursery upstairs at the Seas with Nemo and Friends is a quiet spot and often has at least one tank with holiday decorations inside. During Hanukkah one tank usually has a menorah in which a new additional piece of red-colored kelp is placed as each night of Hanukkah arrives.
Another great way to rest your feet is to take a ride aboard Living with the Land boat ride. During the Festival of the Holidays, the last half of the ride is packed with festive decorations and touches, and the ride’s narration is updated for this merry season.
NEW Santa Location
Santa Claus meets guests at a new location for 2022. Santa is now inside The Odyssey building near the center of the park. Meeting Santa Claus at EPCOT is even more festive in this new location. The Holiday Heart Desserts festival booth is in The Odyssey building with cookies, gourmet popcorn, and treats galore.
The setup for Santa at EPCOT is precious and makes for great family photos. Santa at EPCOT is the most readily available Santa at Disney greeting.
EPCOT is the best place to meet Santa of all four theme parks.
Things to Remember About the EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays 2022
- The Harmonious fireworks show is usually not until 9:00 pm which can be tough on many kids. Pace yourself and take breaks.
- Don’t forget to take time to stroll around some of the World Showcase Pavilions to view the decorations.
- The holidays are a busy time at all Orlando theme parks. Get there early and do your best to remain patient.
- Park Pass Reservations are required.