Easy Breakfast On-the-Go Ideas for Back to School!
During the lazy days of summer, we often skipped breakfast or ate it much later in the day. Now that school is back in session, I’m sharing some ideas you can make ahead or pack—and still make it out the door in time!
MAKE AHEAD BREAKFAST SANDWICHES:
Prep these in less than 30 minutes and you can skip the drive-through for an entire week.
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup cooked, crumbled sausage or diced ham
- 10-12 slices bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit for littles)
- 12 English muffins
- 12 slices of your favorite cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the greased pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the center is set. Don’t over-cook.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into 12 squares.
- Top each English muffin half with egg, cheese, meat and the other half of the muffin. If you are consuming right away, heat the sandwiches at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
To Freeze: Wrap each sandwich individually in tinfoil, wax paper or parchment paper and place them in a freezer safe resealable bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
To reheat: Thaw in the fridge overnight, for best results. Remove paper and wrap the sandwich in a paper towel.
Microwave: 40 seconds – 1 minute on defrost (or 50% power). Flip the sandwich and microwave for another 10-30 seconds on high power, until warmed through.
Air fryer: 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes.
Oven or toaster oven: 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with Baker’s Joy or use paper liners to line your muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix your wet ingredients. Fold in your dry ingredients until well combined.
- Divide evenly into 12 sections of your tin and bake muffins for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin.
- Tweak this basic muffin recipe to your liking by adding 1 cup berries and 1/2 cup sugar for a sweet muffin. Or add 1/2 cup broccoli florets, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder for a savory muffin.
HARD BOILED EGGS:
I love adding hard boiled eggs to salads or ramen or just sprinkling them with everything bagel seasoning in the lunchbox. But this is my favorite morning toast with hard boiled eggs!
- 1 slice of toast
- 1 tablespoon tzatziki (Greek yogurt with dill and diced cucumber)
- 1 sliced hardboiled egg
- Sliced scallions or chives to sprinkle on toast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust shell (at room temperature)
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 cup cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chives
- (OPTIONAL 1 cup of ham or sausage)
- 1 red pepper sliced will add gorgeous color
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Unroll your pie crust and press into a pie plate (9″ round).
- Whisk your eggs and combine with cheese, milk, chives and seasoning.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
TO REHEAT YOUR QUICHE:
Oven: cover your slice of quiche in foil and bake at 325 for about 8 minutes.
Air fryer: 320 degrees for 3 minutes.
If you love breakfast just as much as we do, pack it for lunch! Here are some ways we enjoy breakfast for lunch.
- Waffle sandwich with peanut butter and bananas and a blueberry smiley face
- Yogurt parfait with granola and honey
- The ultimate brunch box with whole wheat cinnamon roll, fruit and egg
Follow me at @lunchboxmafia for more ideas and tips on lunch packing and breakfast to go.
*Originally published in our September 2021 Issue