Ahoy, Matey! It’s a pirate’s life for us in Tampa Bay! We’re so excited about Gasparilla this year. Are you ready for the pirate invasion? It’s almost here!
Looking for easy projects to celebrate this awesome time of the year? I have a fun craft and DIY costumes that are perfect for your little buccaneer.
DIY Pirate Costumes
- White shirt
- Black shorts or pants
- Pirate temporary tattoos
- Black makeup
- Felt sheets (red, black or white)
- Pirate hat
- Red fabric
- Eye patch
- Lace fabric
- Safety pins
- Grab an old white shirt and black pants or shorts from the closet. You can also find these items at your local thrift store.
- If using a plain white shirt, cut a triangle shaped pattern along the bottom of the shirt and bottom of the sleeves. For dress shirts, roll the sleeves and pin a lace fabric piece to the top of the shirt.
- Finally, add a black vest and red fabric piece around the Have your child wear a pirate hat or bandana. Add a beard, mustache and temporary tattoos to your little pirate.
DIY Pirate Craft
- Cardstock (white, skin tone colors, blue, red and black)
- Glue stick
- 2 large googly eyes
- Small red rhinestone or pom pom
- Tacky glue (optional)
- Black marker
- From each of the skin tone color, red and white pieces of cardstock, draw and cut out a large circle approximately 8 inches in diameter.
- Next, fold the red circle in half and cut along the fold. After that, glue one half of the red circle at the top of the skin tone circle to create the pirate head. Using the other half of the red circle, cut 2 small strips, and then cut the ends of each strip at an angle. Glue one strip on the outer edge of the right side of the scarf. Glue the second strip at an angle to the right of the first one. These will form the “ties” for the scarf.
- Cut 5-6 small circles from white cardstock and glue them to the red scarf to resemble polka dots.
- Draw and cut a mustache and eyebrows from black Use scraps of red cardstock to make a mouth for the pirate.
- Glue the eyebrows right under the scarf, and then glue the googly eyes underneath the
- For the nose, glue the small red rhinestone or pom pom onto the
- Cut the mustache in half and glue the pieces under the Glue the mouth under the mustache.
- Use a black marker to make dots at the bottom of the face to create a
- Cut the white circle in half. Glue the pirate face to the top of one half of the circle; this is the shirt.
- Finally, cut out half-inch strips of paper from blue cardstock. Make sure they are at least as long as the widest section of the pirate’s shirt. Glue the blue strips onto the white half circle to resemble a striped shirt.
Feature Image photo by Miya Jones Photography | Originally Published in January 2022