Get your mittens and gloves ready! Snow Days are back at The Florida Aquarium for some super COOL fun on weekends through December 24 and then daily from December 26 -31, 2023.
This is one of our favorite holiday events in Tampa Bay . We LOVE that the Aquarium expanded Snow Days this year to include even more days to play and more fun ways to play with real snow.
We went on opening day to check it out, so let’s dive in on the details, friends!
Snow Days activities are included with admission
There is no extra charge to participate in Snow Days activities. It’s included with admission whether you are going for the day with a ticket or you’re an Aquarium member like we are.
Snow Days hours:
- Saturdays and Sundays through December 24, 2023, from 9:30 am-5:00 pm
- December 26-30, 2023, from 9:30 am-7:00 pm
- December 31, 2023, from 9:30 am-5:00 pm
You can bring your own gloves.
You will be playing with real snow, so a pair of gloves is a good idea, but not necessary. In previous years, we’ve forgotten our gloves at home and the kids didn’t seem to mind. We will go ahead and recommend bringing gloves or mittens just in case.
Snow Days activities are spread out throughout the Aquarium
When you arrive, be sure to grab the paper pamphlet to guide you through the event locations which can be found on all three levels of the Aquarium. Keep your camera handy since there are plenty of photo opportunities along the way with numerous decorated trees throughout the aquarium…and sea creatures, of course!
Since there is more to do this year, we asked Crysta Miller, the events and promotions manager at the Aquarium for her top tips.
“The best way to experience it, start on our first floor out on our Splash Pad. We have the Snowball Slingshots and the Snowball Toss. Then, if you make your way up to the rooftop, we have Snowball Cornhole and we also have Snow Painting,” she told us.
Snow Days activities on the first floor:
- Snowball Toss: Since we missed out on our ski trip this year, the kids loved a chance to toss snowballs again as they basked in the Florida sunshine. The snow machines are constantly running, making new snow, so don’t feel bad about going back for seconds or thirds!
- Snowball Slingshot: This was a cool twist on a snowball toss. Each section has its own snow-making machine, so you won’t have to wait too long for your basket of three snowballs. The slingshot is pretty big and kids can easily do it on their own, Younger kids may need an extra hand though.
- Snow Maze: You’ll find this out back past the elevators area. Signs will guide you to where you need to go. The Snow Maze is made up of large-scale LEGO-like bricks under the big tent. There is also a snow machine running to immerse you even more into the Snow Days theme. The kids liked this one too and went through it twice.
Snow Days activities on the second floor:
- Photos with Santa: You’ll find Santa on Saturdays and Sundays from November 25- December 17 from 11 am-3 pm. The line seems to ebb and flow, so if it seems long during your first stop, you can always try a walk through the new MORPH’D exhibit and then check back. We only had one family in front of us, so the visit was quick. You can take photos with your own camera or purchase a photo taken by the Aquarium.
- Hannukah Photos: There will be a Hannukah photo opportunity near Santa beginning Monday, November 27.
- Hot Chocolate Bar: We didn’t see the Hot Chocolate Bar on opening day, but we are told you can find it on the second floor. It is also very possible we missed it, so be sure to ask if this is something you want.
Snow Days activities on the rooftop:
- Snow Painting: This is an activity kids really seem to enjoy! They’ll receive a small pan of snow, find a spot at one of the tables, and create a masterpiece with watercolors on their snow. Some kids simply painted a landscape while others built a mini snowman to paint like ours did!
- Snowball Corn Hole: Grab your basket of snowballs and test your aim with a round of Snowball Cornhole. There are no rules on how far away you stand from the cornhole game, but older kids might like to really put their skills to the test and step far back.
- Apple Cider Bar: Sip on some warm apple cider or even a spiked apple cider for an extra cost. You can also purchase churros.
- Street Curling (beginning December 26): Curling was launched into the national spotlight during the Winter Olympics and now you can give it a try with a game of Street Curling!
- Rooftop Dance Party (beginning December 26)
Learn more about this event and other things to do at the Florida Aquarium here.